There is no end if it continues this way…
The Singapore Ministry of Health has reported daily declining infection numbers for quite a while. However, on 12th August 2020, MOH has reported that there are 800 workers placed under quarantine in an unnamed dormitory. The dormitory has previously been cleared of COVID-19.
“These workers will be tested when their quarantine ends, and we expect the case counts to remain high in the coming days, before tapering down thereafter,” MOH said.
All Workers Have Been Tested
MOH has reported that all dormitory workers have been tested for COVID-19. The affected workers, numbering 22,800, are still serving their quarantine period.
In the joint statement, the agencies said that there had already been instances where new cases were detected at previously cleared dormitories.
No Details Provided
The agencies did not provide details of these new cases but they said that the Interagency Task Force is actively monitoring the dormitories to manage the risk of new outbreaks. This is done through various safeguards including requiring workers to monitor their own health and regular routine testing of workers in higher risk settings.
The Ministry of Manpower has also reported that as of Tuesday, 12th August 2020, all dormitories here had been declared cleared of Covid-19.
There is an exception of 17 standalone blocks in six purpose-built dormitories which serve as quarantine centres.
Not The First Of Cases In “Cleared” Dormitories
The agencies report that it is not the first time that cases have reoccurred in “cleared” dormitories. The task force is actively monitoring the dormitories to manage the risk of new outbreaks.
The newly quarantined workers will be retested at the end of their quarantine period to ensure that they are free of COVID-19.
MOH on Wednesday confirmed 42 new cases of Covid-19, including 11 that are imported and one that is in the community. The remaining 30 are migrant workers staying in dormitories.